Friday, August 27, 2010

The Living Planet Aquarium's "Journey to South America"

When The Living Plant Aquarium's ribbon-cutting ceremony commenced, and the public was set free to roam it's beautiful and wonderous halls, I felt a big smile on my face that was, among other things pride. Proud of all of the work that was offered to me, and that I feel I executed with much life and vigor. And, also quite pleased to be a part of this wonderful organization of biologists, educators, volunteers, and a great management and marketing team that keeps them running efficiently. Although not officially under TLPA's employ, I feel like one of them. 


This exhibit also nudged me to break into some uncharted and exciting new creative territory. For example, the faux Mayan stone (shown at left) effects was something worked out by Brent Anderson and Tony Layne from the aquarium. And I got to figure out how to create the illusion of  ancient, hand-carved heiroglyphs and other elements by carving out of a high-density foam. Then, Tony would coat the carvings with a thin layer of cement, and finish with a sprayed coat of colored stucco. I put the finishing touches on by "staining" the stone with thinned paint and some airbrushing. Then, by some details of painted moss and lichen.
Anyone that knows me, knows how much I enjoy fishing. That being the case, this Amazon Peacock Bass was a real treat to paint!
An "above/below" style of mural is something I have always wanted  to create. Although this took several weeks to complete, I see new things I would really like to add to it even a year later!
This mural displays the imense diversity of life teeming in the amazon river basin region of South America.

No comments:

Post a Comment